Daughter tried to protect her mum as her dad stabbed her to death, court told

Ola Haydar,Salwar Haydar (right) and her husband Haydar Haydar. Courtesy:Supplied/9 News

Ola Haydar heard her mother scream. A gut-wrenching, piercing scream that echoed through their Bexley unit.

It was a sound that would change her life.

Running into their modest kitchen, the 18-year-old saw her father, wielding a paring knife, and repeatedly stabbing her mother.

Shortly after, Salwa Haydar lay dead, while Ola was left cradling cuts to the hands. She had leapt in front of the 45-year-old, in an attempt to save her life.

Now on trial at the NSW Supreme Court for the mother of four’s murder, Haydar Haydar.

In his opening address, Crown prosecutor Michael Barr told the judge alone trial that, “This was a marriage that had more downs than ups.”

Haydar, 60, was convinced his marriage was at end, and that his wife had been having an affair.

The former taxi driver had gone through Salwa’s mobile phone and discovered a text message she’d sent to a colleague, which read “I’m thinking of you” and “I want nothing more than to be with you tonight. I feel very vulnerable emotionally.”

The court heard that on the night of March 30, 2015, Salwa was cooking dinner for the family when an argument broke out; Haydar Haydar calling the mother of his children “a slut”.

Crown prosecutor Michael Barr said Ola tried to stop the attack.

“She got herself between the accused and the deceased. She yelled stop. But the accused continued to stab the deceased, also striking Ola on the hands a number of times.”

It is the Crown’s submissions that the 60-year-old did not intend to injure Ola, rather that she was inadvertently struck.

The father-of-four, dressed in a fawn-coloured suit and tie, buried his head in his hands as the court heard of the moments following the brutal attack.

“When police arrived on the scene, Salwa Haydar couldn’t talk, but nodded her head in response to questions, moaning audibly. Then she stopped breathing. There was nothing paramedics could do.”

The former counsellor suffered stab wounds to the heart and stomach, and a gash to the face. While emergency services worked frantically, the court heard the accused fled the scene, travelling to his brother’s house in a silver Mitsubishi, with the murder weapon on the seat next to him.

“(His brother) almost didn’t recognise him because he was in such a deranged state.”

With blood still staining his clothes and hands, Haydar then handed himself into police, telling arresting officers, “I stabbed my wife. I stabbed my wife. We had an fight. I can’t feel anything. I just got back from Lebanon.”

Family of both the accused and the deceased packed the gallery of the sandstone Supreme Court. Many sat shaking and staring straight ahead as they listened to the opening addresses.

Haydar has pleaded not guilty to murder, but guilty of manslaughter. He is also charged with reckless wounding and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.

It’s the Crown’s case that although the father was suffering from depression at the time of the attack, he was of sound mind, and able to “appreciate the difference between right and wrong.”

“He had the knife in his possession prior to the argument with the deceased. The accused intended to kill.”

The trial continues.

Source: 9 News